Episode 1: Our Debut Show with Pamela Hilliard Owens and Keith Owens
Pamela Hilliard Owens, founder and CEO of Your Business Your Brand Creatively (YB2C), and Keith Owens, her husband and business partner, broadcast their debut radio show, YB2C Live on Saturday, October 1, 2016, from radio station WCHB NewsTalk 1200 AM in Detroit, Michigan. YB2C Live will air every Saturday morning from 8am – 9am Eastern time, and will focus on the myriad of issues, successes, and challenges of freelancers, entrepreneurs, and solo professionals. For most shows, there will also be one or two special guests who are themselves entrepreneurs and will add to the valuable and timely information that will be offered to our listeners. The show can also be heard live online at http://wchbnewsdetroit.newsone.com/listen-live/, and we will post a summary of each show on Thursday of the following week on the blog for Your Business Your Brand Creatively and on the YB2C Live Facebook Page.
Please listen to the 60-minute podcast to hear how the show came about and how the show will showcase freelancing and entrepreneurship in Detroit and around the world in subsequent broadcasts.
- What the YB2C Live Show is About
- Pam tells her story about how she became an entrepreneur after her first career as an English teacher, Language Arts Consultant, and college instructor.
- Keith tells his story about how he became a journalist, a musician, and a published fiction author while supporting Pam’s entrepreneurial journey.
- Keith and Pam discuss how Pam’s businesses supported the entire family when Keith was laid off, and gave a quick description of Keith’s three published books.
- Pam, a native Detroiter explains that one of the major topics of the YB2C Live Show will be the history of entrepreneurship in Detroit, including the Black entrepreneurs in Detroit in the 20th century, including Elijah McCoy, whose most famous invention, the rail car automatic lubricating cup, led to the famous phrase: “I want the Real McCoy!”
- Pam and Keith discuss the history of radio station WCHB, which was started in 1956 in Inkster by Black Detroit Doctors Wendell Cox and Haley Bell (hence “WCHB), who grew their first radio station into the Bell Broadcasting System.
- Pam described how she started her first company, Writing It Right For You in July 2008, right in the middle of the Great Recession; then Pam and Keith discussed how they co-founded the second company, Detroit Ink Publishing in 2012; finally expanding with Your Business Your Brand Creatively in 2014. Your thoughts and mission when first starting out naturally grows and expands and you want to be ready for new opportunities as they appear.
- The show ended with information about the topics and possible guests for future shows.
Here’s where you can find out more about Pam and Keith